Dental Cleanings and Exams Near You
At Devon Dental, we love to see healthy, happy smiles. That is why we provide all of our patients with dental cleanings and exams to help them maintain their healthy smiles for years to come. Dental cleanings and exams near you are an essential part of preventative dental care. Read on to learn how you can benefit from dental cleanings and exams in Devon.
What is Preventative Dentistry?
The key to maintaining your oral health is prevention. Preventative dentistry is the practice of taking care of your oral health consistently to prevent serious oral health conditions from forming. This involves educating patients on best oral hygiene practices and maintaining the health of gums and teeth. From brushing and flossing twice a day to visiting our team at Devon Dental for dental cleanings and exams near you at least once every six months, preventative dentistry works to help you avoid serious oral health conditions such as cavities, gum disease, and more.
What To Expect During Your Dental Cleaning and Exam
When you visit our dentist in Devon for a cleaning and exam, the process will begin with our dental hygienist cleaning your teeth. They will also look for any signs of oral disease such as gingivitis or tooth decay during this time. You can expect the following to occur during your dental cleaning:
- Dental scaling- using a special tool, our hygienist will remove any tartar and plaque buildup in your mouth, especially in those hard-to-reach areas such as between your teeth and below your gum line.
- Polishing- once all of the tartar and plaque have been removed, our hygienist will remove any lingering debris and then polish your teeth to ensure your smile shines.
- Fluoride treatment- you will be provided with a fluoride treatment that will protect you against tooth decay by strengthening your tooth enamel.
Once your cleaning is complete, our dentist in Devon will come in and begin your dental exam. They will evaluate your gums, jaws, and teeth to ensure that they are in good condition. You can also expect:
- Digital x-rays- x-rays will allow our dentist to determine if there are any areas of concern beneath the surface.
- A review of your medical history- this is important for our dentist to understand your current health status to provide you with an effective treatment plan.
- Oral cancer screening- our dentist will perform a brief exam of your neck, head, teeth, gums, tongue, and jaw to look for any early signs of oral cancer.
At Devon Dental, we value the importance of patient education and open communication. After your dental exam, our dentist will discuss any areas of concern and work with you to create an effective treatment plan that meets your needs.
Maintaining Oral Health at Home
While the best way to maintain your oral health is visiting our dentist in Devon at least once every six months for a professional dental cleaning and exam, you also need to ensure that you keep up an excellent oral hygiene routine at home, such as:
- Brushing twice a day
- Flossing once a day
- Using a fluoridated toothpaste and antimicrobial mouthwash
- Limiting your intake of sugary foods
Our team at Devon Dental is happy to provide our patients with dental cleanings and exams in Devon. Please do not hesitate to book your appointment today.